Friday, June 21, 2013

Not of this world.....but in it.

How do we lead in this world when the Bible tells us that we should not be "of" this world, but "in" it?

In John, as well as other places in scripture, Jesus gives us the direction to be "in" the world but not "of" the world.  How do we do that and still remain relevant and effective?

I think the key is keeping in mind why Jesus left us in the world.  He had the opportunity to take the disciples with him, but in John 17:15, He asks that God leave them in the world, but keep them from the evil one.  The reason Jesus made this request of His Father was so more people of this world could come to understand and become one with Jesus and the Father.

Jesus acknowledges that because he has given them his word, that the world would hate them.  But also asks that they get to have joy through his glory.

So, as I look to un-pack John 17, I begin to see, as a leader, what my role needs to be:

1. The reason I have been left in this world is to bring the Word to those who are not one with the Father.  This can manifest itself in many ways.  Since I strive to be one with Jesus and the Father, I need to show up and participate and trust that the Lord will use me how He sees fit.

2.  I should not be discouraged when the world works against me.  The world is trying to drown out the message that I am supposed to trying to deliver.

3. My true joy will come, not through materialistic trappings, but through keeping the Word alive in the world and increasing the number of people who will become one with God.

4. If I focus my influence to do what Jesus aks, he has promised to protect me from the evil one.

The "watch out" that I consider, however, is not to let things of this world keep me from doing what I am supposed to do..As distractions of this world encroach on my ability to understand how I can help God accomplish His will through me, then I become "of" the world again.  Satan's biggest weapon of this world is noise and distraction, because while God is all-powerful, he speaks softly.  When we are not quiet and don't listen, then we miss the message that God is trying to send.  He wants us to focus on Him and listen.

So, Jesus asks that we be left in the world to spread His word, through what we say and how we live.  The self-test for you is this....
Would people look at you and how you live as different from everyone else that is living?  If not, then you are living to much "of" the world.  If you fit in too much, then you are not the light that God needs to attract others to Him.

I admit that when I look in the mirror, I often see someone who fits in more often than someone who stands out.  I know what my homework is this week....